Is the Milwaukee music scene too nice?

11:00 AM



When people think of Milwaukee, they immediately think of beer, cheese, and the Packers. It is infrequently thought of as a cultural hub for music. An out-of-towner would never suspect that Milwaukee is a great city to live in if you love rock and roll. We have tons of venues for shows, both organized and DIY. I can think of at least six independent music stores off the top of my head within 30 minutes from my house. Our radio stations go above and beyond to promote local musicians and create a closeness among Milwaukee music fans. The music scene is on the smaller side, meaning that shows typically foster a comfortable, intimate environment for both fans and performers. 

A city that appreciates music so much is naturally home to a large population of musicians. Artists of many genres reside in Milwaukee, but rock musicians make up the vast majority. There are many bands in this city who I think have potential to “make it” (as big as a Midwestern rock band can make it in 2016). There are also quite a few that are, in my opinion, not quite as great as local music writers make them out to be. 

An issue I have noticed throughout Milwaukee music culture is the lack of constructive criticism that is given to artists. Of course, there are many Milwaukee bands that I am slightly obsessed with and think are insanely talented. A small part of me doesn’t even want them to achieve major success because I don’t want them to leave this city. That being said, for every one band I am obsessed with, there are two that I don’t believe live up to their local (and once in a while, national) hype.  

Few bands from Milwaukee ever achieve anything close to mainstream success. The most famous band to ever emerge from Milwaukee is ‘80s post punk band Violent Femmes. Other notable groups include hardcore cult favorite Die Kreuzen and indie rockers Field Report. I personally believe the reason that so few bands escape the Milwaukee bubble is because they are never given any constructive criticism. They are never told what they need to improve on, and therefore they never get better. A few of the Milwaukee bands that I like also suffer the consequences of sugar coating. They might be talented musicians, but are lacking in stage presence, social media skills, or other important non-music traits that a musician needs to be successful. 

I observe the music scene as an outsider. I may have a few friends in bands, but I definitely feel like I am looking into a fishbowl due to my age and lack of social connections (friends). The music scene is fairly small, meaning it is very close knit and cliquey. Understandably, everybody is friends with everybody.  No one wants to say anything negative about their friends’ band. Politeness is a trait that very few Milwaukee residents are lacking. While this may be to our benefit the majority of the time, I do not think that being sweet as frozen custard is helping very many local musicians. 

Because so many musicians are friendly with local music writers, very few negative things are ever said about Milwaukee bands. I get it - nobody wants to look like the bad guy. However, I don’t understand how a musician is supposed to grow if they are never told what they need to work on. Local publications sing high praises for nearly every band who lives within the 414 area code. I love that the music scene is full of such positivity, and I like to think that if I ever get a band together, people will be very welcoming and kind to me. While I am all about supporting local musicians, I do not think that telling every band that they are great is the way to do it. Every band has potential, but I don’t believe that their potential is being reached if they are remaining stagnant.

You Might Also Like

0 comments